Monday, September 12, 2005

Charlie Hunter, baby

I've seen Charlie Hunter many times over the years; and just like your favorite winery, he gets better with every visit while continually evolving and refining his style. It's pure amazement listening to the layers of sound that pours out of that Novak guitar.
DSCN1732

This was the first time I had heard or seen John Ellis; and man, this guy is a musician's musician. Multitasking between many horns, keys and melodica! I've been to a few MMW shows where John Medeski whipped out the melodica; it always reminds me of listening to Stevie Wonder when I was young in the 70's...
DSCN1723

The trio on a groove. Derrek Phillips had great speed and touch on the drums, wafting effortlessly from whisper quiet to headache inducing cacophony. Had me thinking of Tony Williams, illyB, Stanton Moore.
DSCN1726

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home