Sunday, December 17, 2006

The best haircut

Antonio's Barbershop in Larchmont, NY

It was a gorgeous day; and after a little altitude adjustment we got down to business. I got a burly little barber just back from break; and this guy played me like a piano - like the way a good pianist can sit down at an unfamiliar keyboard and still bang out a good tune. My chair never moved during the whole cut; instead this guy just danced around my head like a hummingbird with scissors exchanged for wings.

I seem to recall Paul Newman's description of Jackie Gleason's portrayal of Minnesota Fats in The Hustler, something to the tune of: "look at the way his fat fingers hold that cuestick, it's like he's playing a violin or something."

My hairstlyle was obviously longer and shaggier than the average patron (this is a barbershop after all) so my guy went after my hair with a kind of abandon, as if to say "how dare you walk into my domain with that mop!" so he showed me what he thought of my stylistic tendencies - in short order.

Nevertheless, I got what I consider to be one of the best haircuts of my life. Not the best haircut, mind you, but one of the best haircut experiences of my life. Even the payout was classy, I paid, he handed me change, I folded the change in half and put it right back in his hand.

Grazie Antonio's

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home