Friday, July 14, 2006

Milk processing

So I got a gallon of fresh, raw whole milk from an Amish market in South Carolina. That's right, unpasteurized milk. Let's face it folks, we all have Louis Pasteur to thank for getting the dairy industry through a rough time (the dirty mid-1800's) but nowadays dairy cows are kept in pretty good condition in healthy clean environments. Especially from farms that sell raw milk! Pasteurization is controlled heating to kill pathogens, baterial and such; and while this is noble it also kills milk proteins and enzymes right along with it, leaving you with less milk than you had before.

So what, right? Well if you could taste the milk I'm drinking you just might see where I'm coming from. The other benefits are: more nutrition, higher yeilds if you make cheese; and more often than not you will have cream to skim off of the top! We have been drinking pasteurized, homogenized milk for so long that we lost our connection to real milk.

Thank you South Carolina, for not restricting raw milk to animal consumption only.

2 Comments:

Blogger Laurie said...

I'm posting this here since I couldn't on your Slow Food Hall of Justice blog...

"Holy...
How did I get here?

I am so god-awful jealous that you have so many folks working on your web site and yet I am so god-awful glad that I stumbled onto this. I'll post the link to your site on Slow Food Piedmont Triad, if you're ready. Email me at lponeill@slowfoodpiedmont.org. And congrats - it looks awesome!"

8:05 PM  
Blogger twomartinis said...

Feel free to link to me. Anything to further the Slow movement!

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home