Saturday, May 20, 2006

Cup, cup and away!

What "normal" people would surely find odd is that it's a beautiful Saturday morning; and here I sit practicing my cupping slurp with my new cupping spoon. Yesterday's cupping ended with surprise gift giving: Lell had purchased some antique sterling silver bouillon spoons and rewarded her, as she loves to call us, "serial cuppers."

Cupping slurp you say?! WTF is that?

Yes, 'tis true. Amazingly, the geometry of a spoon's bowl turns out to be a sensitive parameter. Change it a little bit by swapping to a different spoon and lo, you might just see a seasoned cupper slurping like a newbie.

Dribbling.
Coughing.
Skwlerping

I am amazed by the thermal properties of sterling silver. The handle gets really warm, not hot, just this cozy warmness like holding onto a hot beverage when you're out in the cold. The bowl of the spoon appears to be a spherical section; and is surprisingly easy to cup with, once you get the hang of it. I'm finding that coffee is aspirating more evenly with a great consistent spray into the mouth. I also can't get all of the coffee out of the bowl; there always seems to be a bit left in the spoon. I think it's deepness of the bowl that is causing two things to happen simultaneously: there is more coffee in the bowl and my slurp doesn't have enough 'vacuum' to clean out the deeper bowl.

So here I sit - half cupping, half drinking my morning coffee: Counter Culture's COE Bolivia Carrasco Pico del Tucan (the Toucan's beak). F'in-A amazing, I get a sweet milk chocolatey aroma with wafts of Bit-O-Honey, a pleasant-but-firm brightness and a little savory pinch in that back of the nasal passage and jowls that makes me reach for another cup!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home