Thursday, August 17, 2006

Word of the day: CrackBerry

I know I am one of the fortunate ones to remain relatively untouched by CrackBerry addicts. These awesome little tools allow productive people to "stay connected" at a level that causes mere mortal's craniums to explode with all of the supercomputing, multi-tasking demands placed upon their swollen medullas.

The problem I see with this crap is that it reduces the user's attention spans to a sliver of what it should be. The next time you are in a big meeting, see if you can identify anyone doing the "BlackBerry Prayer". Once you spot one (preferably when you have the floor) go out of you way to reel then back to reality with a well-timed "what are your thoughts on that, Meyers? You want me to repeat that? Perhaps if you paid more attention to this meeting than your CrackBerry you would be a productive architect."

Don't get me wrong - I looked into these a few years back when I got my pocketpc and I've been eyeing pocketpc phones for two years (damn two year contracts). I will no doubt have mobile email & surfing within my powers soon. Will I use it compare prices at antique stores? Sure will. That last second bid on eBay? Definitely. Will I jam up your inbox with worthless one sentence replies? Probably not, that's what text messaging is for.

Pretty soon I'm sure we'll see signs and placards indicating "BlackBerry Free Zone" or some such nonsensical bullshit. It boils down to being respectful, which along with thrift, focus and ingenuity are quickly becoming "olde timey" notions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home