Monday, October 09, 2006

First chili competition, no dice...

I entered my first "official" chili competition today; and I'm sorry to say that I came up sans guerdon. I'm a transformed, turned die-hard disciple of the Texas-style chili camp: just top notch beef and seasoning, no vegetables or bean-based protein allowed. I strive for that special style of chili that is really too hot to eat, yet is so tasty that you need to take another bite.

What I have developed this far is an amazing concoction that builds heat in such a way that you don't sense the heat until the third or fourth yummy spoonful. Then it hits you, that woodsy chili powder burn that begins to build. Yet the meat, which is two different cuts of beef each processed differently: a chuck that is coarsely ground through a grinder and a loin that is variably 'blitzed' in a food processor for texture, is the star performer acting out the tender role of substance and flavor. To that are added varying stages of aromatics, earthy spices and heat components. To each it's individual part, they must add their qualities at the right time in the right proportion. Heat components are mostly dependent on the strength and time of addition. Hotter, insane peppers can be added at the early stages to create that building, additive burn that I search. Milder, tasty peppers can contribute to the latter stages for a rounded heat-flavor component.

Well, I was placed in a lineup at position 25 or so out of 30 contestants. By the time the tasters got to my chili they were pretty well chilied-out. I did get a bunch of reprisals, culminating with some refreshing comments such as "that's some good heat" and "wow, that's tasty...and hot." But no bone at this doggy show.

I'm sticking with the "heat is a stair that we all must climb" chili philosophy. There may not be any popular rewards coming my way anytime soon, but I'll still be cruising the road to Valhalla, Texas-chili style. Perhaps I'll make it to Terlingua someday after all...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home